UPDATE ON OUR CONFEDERATE MONUMENT LAWSUIT THAT AFFECTS ALL OF GEORGIA
WHY IS OUR LAWSUIT OVER THE CONFEDERATE MONUMENT IN McDONOUGH SO IMPORTANT?
The lawsuit filed by the Georgia Minutemen in the Henry County Superior Court is extremely important for all of Georgia. With monuments to our heroes coming down all across the state even in the face of the strongest monument protection law in America, it is essential that we score a victory for a number of reasons. Both well-meaning individuals and organizations such as the Sons of Confederate Veterans have filed multiple lawsuits to stop the removal of our monuments or force their restoration. To date, ALL of these efforts have been unsuccessful, mainly owing to the onerous doctrine of sovereign immunity which prevents any political subdivision of the state of Georgia from being sued without its permission. Months ago, the Georgia Minutemen put out an article encouraging all Georgians to vote YES this November on the proposed state constitutional amendment on the ballot which would end sovereign immunity in most cases; however, we cannot afford to wait for the outcome of that election. With every day that passes, more monuments are under scrutiny in local communities across the state; and the chances of having monuments put back that have already been removed become smaller and smaller. That's why our lawsuit over the McDonough monument is so crucial.
SO WHY IS THIS CASE SO IMPORTANT?
There are several reasons that this particular case is so important...
1. We are not suing the Board of Commissioners like the SCV and other well-meaning individuals have done around the state. We are suing the commissioners as INDIVIDUALS for breaking the law.
2. We MUST secure a legal win in order to stop other monuments from being removed. So far, none of the legal efforts to enforce our Monument Protection Act have proven successful. We need to take the strongest case to court.
3. There is tremendous popular support for restoring the Monument among the locals in this case.
4. We have and are continuing to receive intelligence and evidence in this case from individuals within the county government here who are sympathetic to our Cause.
5. In going about to break the Monument law, the county in this case has also broken additional laws owing to their attempt to do so quickly and secretively.
6. This particular Monument was already part of the National Historic Registry and is afforded additional protections.
7. The motive of the commissioners in this case was clearly stated... to remove anything Confederate from county property.
For these and some other reasons that I am not at liberty to share at this time related to things which may be presented in court, the case to restore the Confederate Monument in McDonough is the strongest evidentiary case which currently exists on the legal landscape here in Georgia.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN WE WIN THIS LAWSUIT?
1. The 4 commissioners who voted to remove the Monument illegally (plus the county manager who effected the removal) will be forced to pay PERSONALLY to restore the Monument even though public funds were used for its removal.
2. The law requires that the defendants will be required to pay TRIPLE the cost to restore the Monument.
3. The defendants will be required to repay all of our legal fees and court costs.
4. The jury may award punitive damages if it chooses.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP US WIN?
We are already having success in two instances of halting plans by other localities to remove monuments just because they have learned that we are suing the officials in their PERSONAL status... because NO politician wants to be held PERSONALLY liable with THEIR OWN MONEY for their reckless and illegal actions. They have no qualms about doing it if it is only YOUR TAX DOLLARS at risk and when they can use the county attorney that they do not have to personally hire for their defense. It's a different story when they are risking their own fortunes to break the law.
I have already personally paid the initial $3,500 retainer to put this case in motion. Many of you have reached out and asked how you could help further. There are two things you could do to help if you want to have a part in winning this important case and helping to establish the legal precedent that we need in Georgia:
For Georgia First,
Ray McBerry, Founder
P.S. Please note that the facebook page called "Georgia Minutemen" is NOT our group. Our page was disabled and removed by Facebook when we eclipsed 1,000 followers in just a little over a week's time. The enemy is not happy at our popular support or our audacity to oppose their plans.
WOULD YOU MAKE A CONTRIBUTION TO THE LEGAL EFFORT TO RESTORE THE HENRY COUNTY MONUMENT AND OTHERS ACROSS GEORGIA?
HERE'S A LINK TO THE GOFUNDME PAGE
Georgia Minutemen Founder, Ray McBerry, is a Christian, father, businessman, Baptist pastor, television host, and former Republican candidate for governor of Georgia. In 2013, he became the first "public figure" in more than 100 years of Georgia history to win a libel suit when he sued those responsible for lies about him created by our enemies during the 2010 governor's race. He has previously served in the Southern Heritage movement as both SCV Georgia Division Commander and Georgia Chairman of the League of the South. In 2010, he organized and hosted the first-ever national Tenth Amendment Summit and has been a guest on FOX News, CNN, HLN, MSNBC, and hundreds of other media outlets as one of America’s foremost spokesmen on issues related to States’ Rights, Southern Heritage, and the Constitution. He is also the founder of the Georgia Minutemen, organized on April 19, 2020 as a voice for patriotic Georgians who have had enough of the cultural war being waged against them and their heritage. Ray McBerry is no stranger to fighting for our heritage and freedoms.
Membership in the Georgia Minutemen is growing rapidly across Georgia! Join today for as little as $10 annually.